Monday, May 26, 2014

May Snapshots Volume II


Horseneck Beach, Massachusetts. I camped here for a couple of nights while I took trips in both branches of the Westport River and explored Newport. You can park and camp just above the beach at the State Park campground.


Newport, again. This time I launched from Third Beach, on the Sakonnet River side and paddled to Lands End, connecting the dots from previous trips. Played in some surf as I made my way along Second Beach. Backed into Purgatory Chasm, a deep cleft in the rocky shore (video here) and made my way around Easton Point and Easton Beach to the Cliff Walk. There are lots of large houses in Newport.


On my way home I stopped in Salem and camped at Winter Island, where the fog came in in the evening and hung over Salem Sound the next morning. I followed the Beverly shore out to Manchester where I saw plenty more big houses. Not as big as the ones in Newport, but it looks as if people actually live in these, at least some of the time. The Greek temple above appears to be someone's beach cabana.


From Manchester Harbor I made my way out to Great Misery Island for lunch. I was hoping the fog might lift so I could follow the mid-sound islands back to Marblehead and Salem, but it remained as dense as ever until I was about half-way back along the shore route.


Back home with Pinniped's Leadership and Guide class, we went out for a couple days in the archipelago, camping in a favorite spot. It was good to be home.

No comments: