Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Russ


Saying I went to Russ Island is like saying I took a walk around the block. Russ is one of the larger islands, directly across the Thorofare. Maybe 3/4 of a mile to get to, 3 miles round trip when you circle the island. But that's what I did this evening. Of course I'd planned on going further, but by the time I got to the end of Russ, the wind had picked-up, and the waves were getting bigger. I was alone, and had doubts about my ability to self-rescue in constant bigger waves. I turned and surfed/paddled the length of the island.


In the lee, the water was amazingly calm. I decided to get out and take a walk. I don't spend much time walking around on the islands. My time is always limited, and it seems my priority is always to go as far as I can, to spend all my time on the water. It's good to get out and walk every once in awhile, and see the waves from the shore.



Back in town, it seemed pretty calm. I don't have that satisfyingly tired feeling in my muscles, but judging from the way the wind has picked up, I made the right call.





No comments: